It has been absolutely gorgeous here this weekend – plenty of blue skies and sunshine. Our cherry blossom tells us spring is here and the warm air pulls us outside without coats, hats or scarves. We inhale the fresh air and dream of long summer evenings sharing a cold beer or two with friends.
A cold beer on a warm day needs a little snack. We learnt that in Spain. Some years ago we spent a few days in Granada where we experienced amazing tapas: fat olives, crusty bread, paper thin slices of Iberian ham. So when I fancied a snack today I turned my mind to that lazy food filled holiday.
The inevitable delve into my pantry threw up some blanched almonds and spices. I went for three different mixes: baked with fiery lemon harissa, toasted and baked with sugar and spices, and finally toasted and baked with spices and honey. All were spicy and more-ish, but it was the sticky honey coated almonds I returned to.
These aren’t professional – they’re sticky and a tad over sweet. They need a cold beer!
- 100g blanched almonds
- splash olive oil
- ½ tsp chilli
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½tsp salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ tbsp honey
- Pre heat your oven to 150 degrees C
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan and toast your almonds until golden brown.
- Mix the spices together in a medium sized bowl and toss the almonds, ensuring they are well coated. Pour over the honey and mix well.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the almonds are sticky (don't use your fingers to test them - the honey will be hot!)
- Leave to cool for a bit then break out the cold beer and baby wipes!